The Suspension System
What is the suspension system?
A vehicle’s suspension system refers to the following components that all work together; tyres, struts, bushings & joints, shock absorbers, springs, bars & control arms that connects a vehicle to its wheels. These parts are mainly located on the underside of the vehicle.
What is the suspension system’s function?
The suspension system has several basic functions. These include;
- Supporting the weight of the vehicle.
- Absorbing & reducing the effects of bumps that occur while driving. This provides steering stability & reduces shock transference to the rest of the vehicle. It also protects passengers from bumps & vibrations; resulting in a more comfortable ride.
- Helps to maintain tyre contact with the road. The more contact your tyres have with the road, the safer and more securely you’ll be able to drive.
- Maintain correct vehicle ride height.
- Maintain correct wheel alignment.
- Control the vehicle’s direction of travel.
- Allows the vehicle to turn while retaining vehicle stability with minimum roll or sway.
How does damage to the suspension system occur?
The suspension system is exposed on the underbelly of the vehicle, and so it is vulnerable to damage from rocks, speed bumps, potholes, rough road surfaces & debris.
Signs of a failing suspension system:
The following signs are common of failing or worn suspension system components:
- Clunking or rattling noise.
- Poor handling.
- Loose steering.
- One side of the vehicle sitting lower while parked.
- Bumpy/ rough ride.
- Clunking or knocking noise, or excessive tyre bounce when hitting a bump.
- Shudder when braking.
- A dipping when braking.
- Steering wander.
- Premature & uneven tyre wear.
- Pulling to one side around corners.
- Loss of control when you drive over a bump or pothole.
If you notice any of these symptoms; don’t risk continuing to drive your vehicle. Make an appointment with your mechanic. If the shocks absorbers are worn or failing; when you hit a bump, the shock will spread throughout your car and lead to damage of the other components; such as ball joints & wheel hubs.
Service you can trust
At Burleigh’s Mobile Mechanic we can make any necessary repairs & have you back on the road with peace of mind. If you have any issue or problem with your vehicle, we are here to help! We offer a breakdown service to help out when you get stuck. Alternatively, bring your vehicle into our workshop for an inspection.
Give one of our friendly team a call on 0412 161 776 & remember to follow us on Facebook for more information, tips and specials.